Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The alphabets of the many different languages part 2

Hey, everyone! Okay, so, in the last post, I showed you guys the alphabets for...okay, whatever, I'm not gonna tell you, you can just check it out yourself.

For this second part of the blog, I'm going to start off by showing you the French alphabet:

Just like ours. Except for the pronunciation...which, reminds me, I left off something with our German alphabet: when you see a word or name that starts off with 'J' it is not pronounced 'J', it is 'yuh'. Same thing goes for Norse and Swedish, and such.

With that note, we'll be going onto our next alphabet. Let's talk about the Norse alphabet:
Okay, technically, it is an alphabet. This, readers, is a written language referred to as "runes". Back in the old days of Scandinavia (meaning from when they first had a written language to some part past the viking age) this was what they used. 

Believe me, one day, you might see a rune in a book, or see it somewhere else (with me as writer, it's a guarantee). Or you and a friend can learn it, and talk to each other via notes in case you don't want your snoopy siblings to read your letters or even your diary!

See, this stuff is useful!

Alright, I should teach you guys the actual Nordic alphabet - the ones they use in the modern day.

As a piece of advice, roll the "r" a bit. Not like how you roll it in Spanish, exactly, but, still kind of roll it. Danish is basically the same thing.

Next up would be Icelandic, just to spice things up a little:

I can't exactly tell you what that weird symbol is that's by the Z...I'll get back to you all on that one, at some point in the future.

Okay, so the next part of this post will be:


Arabic! Yeah, it's a bit complicated (okay, for some people, it might be a bit of an understatement, no?). As for advice for remembering some of the letters, when isolated, the 'b' looks kind  of like a sort of necklace. And for t and th, well, am I the only one seeing happy faces here? And s, or shin, looks like a kitty face :3, while the other s looks like a leash of some sort. Q also looks a bit like a happy face when in final, and the medial of 'h' looks like a fly to me...

I could be totally wrong with how they look to you all, but, I'm saying how I can interpret them into memory, as a way to help you guys and help try and simplify it a bit, perhaps?

Let's move onto our next alphabet of:

Greek. Yep, we may remember somewhat learning about the alphabet from grade school. We, at the very least, remember omega, alpha, beta, gamma, zeta, delta, because of fraternities and sororities and pack names for wolves (the alpha/beta wolves), possibly epsilon because of "epsilon delta", and we should ALL remember pi - because it's in algebra. And we use the lowercase writing of "pi" as the symbol for 3.14!
To remember the others, it's easier to associate them with things. 

Like, take Kappa for instance. Kappa, for Greek, would represent K. Well, in Japanese folklore, there's a creature called a Kappa. It's a seadwelling creature, that looks like a cross between a turtle and a duck (or, as according to wikipedia, a gigantic salamander -- it all depends on the artwork you see, to be honest).So, when you try to remember what the letter was called, whenever you're writing something, just think: "Okay, so a water-dwelling Japanese monster....it's either like at turtle-duck hybrid or a giant salamander..." you might remember Kappa. As for chi, which would represent X, just remember all those martial-art related movies you love; chi plays the biggest part in those movies.

As for Mu and Nu -- think of a mu-mu and nu-nu, whatever a nu-nu is...I think it's some sort of name for a grandparent, but, I could be totally off.

Okay, moving on!


This would be the Hungarian alphabet. I don't believe it's as complicated as some languages, but, memorizing it might take time for some people. Especially with D, Dz, and Dzs, and trying to remember the pronunciation of the vowels with different markings over their letters. As soon as I find out more about those, I will explain - and if any of you know, please tell me, because I'm wanting to learn about those markings in particular.

Okay, the last thing we will learn about today is:


Korean. Yeah, I had to - it's a language worth learning about, even if it takes a long time to figure out. This one...well, I don't know much about it, myself, but, I'm learning (like I said -- this is a freaking freshman working this blog, I don't know every language). If any of you readers who speak Korean can give me advice on this, please comment on either my profile or this post, so I can share the knowledge with others.

Alright, so, that is all we have for today. More will be added as we go on, so, til next time!

--Kenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment